Ashlyn – a free-spirited teenager whose peaceful life is shattered when the village elders honor her with a perilous quest to recover a stolen relic.
Zane – a jaded mercenary, torn by his undeniable desire for Ashlyn and the dark secret that could make her hate him forever.
Delistaire – a malevolent sorcerer driven by an insatiable lust for power.
All three are bound together by an ancient relic supposedly infused with the power of a Goddess.
Shadow Fire – adventure, passion, secrets, and betrayal
As Ashlyn and Zane race to stay one step ahead of the evil lurking in the shadows, their passions are ignited and their bond strengthens. But will they find the relic before Delistaire? Or has their entire quest been orchestrated from the very beginning by a madman in pursuit of ultimate power?
Each installment of The Light Chronicles is a standalone story.
Every step I take is one step closer to death.
Hiking through the dense underbrush, I try to calm my frayed nerves and control the fear threatening to overwhelm me. Twigs and tendrils of ivy grab at my ankles as I continue to forge ahead, forcing me to wrench away from their skeletal grip. The sunlight is fading, signaling the end of another day, but this is no ordinary day.
A loud crack pierces the air. I freeze in my tracks, my breath catching in my throat. Whipping my head around, I try to locate the source of the sound. My heart pounds in my chest, the erratic rhythm painful. These woods are full of predators, some animal, some monster, but the worst… human. Taking a deep breath, I listen to the surrounding woods: birds chirp, insects hum, and small animals scurry about as if they have no care in the world.
Lungs burning, I force myself to continue walking. I didn’t collapse three weeks ago when this whole fiasco started, and I won’t give in now. My family needs me to be strong.
The trees become sparser as I approach the edge of the forest. My shoulders slump when I pass the tree house we used to play in so many years ago. Any other day when I’m this close to home after a long day of hunting, I’d smile, breathe a sigh of relief, and perhaps look forward to dinner. Today there will be no raucous family meal, no solace in entering the peaceful village, and nothing to smile about.
The villagers will be awaiting my return, skulking in the shadows, desperate to catch a glimpse of the walking dead girl.
I’ve dealt with the whispers and pointing for three weeks with my head held high, my anxiety hidden behind a mask of indifference. I don’t want them to see me like this, trembling in fear, broken. They’ve taken everything I am, every hope, every dream I’ve had for the future and smashed them to pieces with little hope of salvation. The townsfolk of Verdane decided my fate and they chose death.
The elders told me being Chosen is an honor. Either they are ignorant or apathetic. Every five years for the last twenty, a teenage girl has been chosen by the town, via secret ballot, to undertake this dangerous quest, never to return. Perhaps if the elders had to forfeit their lives instead they wouldn’t be so quick to label it an honor, they’d call it what it is… a sacrifice.
Kimber Leigh Wheaton is a YA/NA author with a soft spot for sweet romance and is a member of Romance Writers of America.
She is married to her soul mate, has a teenage son, and shares her home with three dogs and four cats. No, she doesn’t live on a farm, she just loves animals. Her house is filled with dragons, though she does lament that they are the porcelain, non-flying variety.
Kimber Leigh is addicted to romance, videogames, superheroes, villains, and chocolate—not necessarily in that order. (If she has to choose, she’ll take a chocolate covered superhero!)
Her debut novel, Shadow Fire, is the first book in The Light Chronicles series. Watch for book two, Stolen Moon, a standalone sequel, coming soon.
Top Tens List
Movies I watch over and over again
10. The Three Musketeers —the 1993 Disney version, so much silly comic relief
9. Robin Hood —Disney’s animated version— I love the story and this is a great retelling
8. Transformers —I have a thing for robots that change into machines
7. The Mummy— Brendan Fraser is adorable, and I’m an Egyptology buff
6. Terminator 2 —nonstop action and a cool baddie
5. Tie —Men in Black & Mars Attacks —aliens galore, comic mayhem
4. X-men —Hugh Jackman as Woverine? Yes, please!
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark —I wanted to be an archaeologist after I saw this the first time
2. Moulin Rouge —Love it! The singing, the dancing, the romance *sigh*
1. Star Wars —All six. Please don’t ask me how many times I’ve seen them…
Places I most want to travel to
10. Machu Picchu —High in the mountains, untouched by time- just wow.
9. Tahiti —A hotel room out over a reef -climb out of bed and dive into the water.
8. Tokyo, Japan —Such an intriguing, modern city –I want to sleep in a tube hotel & buy tons of stuff from vending machines.
7. Ireland —Some of the most beautiful countryside I’ve ever seen in pictures.
6. Galapagos Islands —A natural treasure trove of intriguing animals and flora
5. Athens, Greece —I adore mythology and would love to see the ruins.
4. England —I love the rich history, the castles, oh and the Tower of London.
3. Giza, Egypt —Someday I want to see the sphinx and the pyramids with my own eyes.
2. Australia —I need to learn to scuba dive so I can explore the Great Barrier Reef.
1. Baltic Cruise —I want to get in touch with my Norse ancestry.
I’m setting up a blog tour & blast for this book. If interested you can sign up here: http://www.bookblasttours.com/2014/02/28/shadow-fire-by-kimber-leigh-wheaton-blast-tour/